Purpose of Job
To work as part of a team responsible for the initiation, development, coordination and preparation of strategies and programmes relating to Greener Greenwich.
Summary of main duties & responsibilities
- Develop and deliver strategic policies and projects to promote and implement the corporate Greener Greenwich programme e.g. renewable energy, decentralised energy, fuel poverty.
- Work in partnership with other council services, external partners, London wide organisations and government bodies on matters relating to Greener Greenwich and which focus on improving environmental performance and promoting sustainable outcomes, organising and coordinating meetings and project groups, where required, to develop projects or consult stakeholders.
- To organise and attend public or other events at weekends and evenings that promote the Greener Greenwich Programme.
- Proactively identify, collect, develop and maintain comprehensive information relevant to Greener Greenwich including information that can support the development of carbon saving programmes of work and which enable monitoring and forecast analysis.
- Identify and develop programmes of activity that can deliver Greener Greenwich objectives in the short, medium and longer term.
- Maximise external funding by identifying funding opportunities and devise, develop and submit funding bids and, where appropriate, project manage the implementation of the successful bid which support the council's corporate objectives, with respect to sustainability, energy reduction and water conservation.
- Maintain an up to date knowledge, interpret and provide proactive advice and briefings on the implications for Greener Greenwich of developments in national, regional and European policy.
- Provide specialist advice on sustainability issues, e.g. tender documents, planning applications, energy studies, Code for Sustainable Homes assessments, Breeam assessments, biodiversity assessments and sustainable travel plans to colleagues across the Council’s services and also to partners in the community.
- Undertake sustainability appraisals and equivalent assessments.
- Develop systems to ensure full compliance with the Carbon Reduction Commitment and other reporting requirements e.g. Greenhouse Gas Reporting.
- Monitor and review energy (gas, power and water) consumption and identify and act to reduce any unnecessary consumption or cost. Store the data and produce auditable energy consumption and carbon emission data to comply with the requirements of Carbon reduction commitment and other performance requirements.
- Develop innovative short, medium and longer term, water and energy conservation strategies and practical programmes identified from site energy audits, monitoring systems, feasibility studies, research into best practice.
- Provide specialist technical advice on how to reduce water and energy consumption.
- Project manage consultants including the preparation of briefs, evaluation of tenders and consultation process; monitoring progress and outcomes.
- Participate and contribute to the development and servicing of internal and external forums raising the profile of sustainability within the council and borough and identifying and implementing good practice on sustainability.
- Prepare reports and briefings to Members and senior management as required based upon a meaningful analysis of data and assessment of policy implications.
- Supervise staff or consultants as required.
- To represent the Council and DRES at all necessary internal and external meetings (including with Government agencies and Committee meetings) both during and outside normal office hours to enable the proper fulfilment of job responsibilities and obligations and provide written feedback in a timely manner.
- Carry out all duties with due regard to the provisions of Health and Safety regulations and legislation, the council’s equal opportunities, anti-poverty and customer care policies and data protection legislation.
- Carry out any other work appropriate to the level and general nature of the post’s duties.