JOB TITLE: Community Engagement & Events Assistant
DIRECTORATE: Communities and Environment
SECTION: Events and Community Engagement
REPORTING TO: Events and Community Engagement Manager
Purpose of Job:
- manage communication between stakeholders, partners and Councillors ensuring a professional, consistent and co-ordinated approach to delivering service information and key messages via all communication routes
- to provide project management support for a range of events including the annual programme of outdoor events, Big Screen, and other ad–hoc events as necessary, either as a whole, as event lead, or in part, working to another member of the team.
- to provide project management support to a range of events in parks and open spaces across the borough including support and monitoring of events on site when necessary, including the management of volunteers and parks staff
- To assist with community engagement initiatives associated with Parks, Estates & Open Spaces projects through consultation and active participation. Promote community capacity building activity where appropriate and to recommend service improvements or changes to service delivery as a result of community initiatives or feedback. To assist the developing strategies on behalf of the service for engaging with the community. Advise community groups of external funding opportunities, provide support with: funding bids, delivery of projects and preparation of questionnaires and customer consultation documents as required.
- Arrange, manage and attend regular engagement meetings with Park Friends Groups community groups, including Neighbourhood Panels, Resident Groups, or Environment Champions/Junior Champions as necessary. To design effective questionnaires and use the Council’s online consultation system to provide wider access to public consultations and other engagement activity relevant to the service. Manage, support and attend the delivery of community events in Parks, Estates & Open Spaces , as required.
- To support the development of an Events Policy for all outdoor spaces, including Parks and Open Spaces, within the borough with other senior officers, stakeholders, and public consultation. To manage arrangements, including standard hire agreements, terms and conditions and guidance documents. To support the implementation of the policy and periodic review.
- To develop and monitor the application, and approval and monitoring procedure for third party event organisers hiring one of the Borough’s available spaces.
- To support, assist, monitor and supervise third party event’s organisers. To ensure that third party event organisers adhere to site conditions and comply with safety requirements agreed.
- To provide project management support to a range of events including the annual programme of outdoor events, Big Screen, and other ad –hoc events as necessary, either as a whole or in part, working to another member of the team. To provide these services as necessary to other teams and departments for internal communication and hospitality events.
- To provide project management support to a range of events in parks and open spaces across the borough including support and monitoring of events on site when necessary, including the management of volunteers and parks staff.
- To provide on the day event management support, covering all aspects of safety, the management of stewarding and other support services and the setting up and management of event control systems.
- To co-ordinate volunteer input to events as necessary as advised by the Events and Community Engagement Manager.
- Whilst undertaking community engagement and event duties in parks, estates and open spaces maintain close working relations, at all times, with PEOS management. This will include: working part of the time with colleagues at Oxleas Wood Centre and at park sites dependant on the nature of the meeting, project or issue; and provision of briefings and feedback on parks specific meetings to PEOS management.
- To help manage the team’s stock of equipment, collateral and inventory.
- Ensure that all newsworthy and or contentious service issues/developments are documented and alerted to senior management and Councillors in a timely manner. Manage and co-ordinate accurate and consistent messages and information in respect of the range of services provided and liaise with the Media Desk as required.
- To deal with complaints, enquiries and FOIs as necessary, ensuring information is obtained and presented in a timely manner for clearance and issue.
- Ensure that service specific information is publicised in the appropriate publications and in a timely manner, liaising with the Corporate Communications Team and Design Studio as appropriate and ensuring compliance with corporate standards at all times. In conjunction with the Event and Community Engagement team ensure information on the Council’s website about the service area is regularly reviewed and kept up to date.
- Record, maintain and analyse data in respect of all aspects of the role, using appropriate electronic systems and computer packages and to produce timely and meaningful reports for the Senior Management Team, as required. Identify trends and areas of concern and recommend service improvements and/or solutions to resolve on-going issues as appropriate.
- To represent the council at a range of meetings and events with members of the public, internal and external partners, stakeholders, acting as an ambassador for the service
- Flexibility to attend weekend and weekday early and late meetings/events/emergencies and deliver duties outside standard hours to ensure that services provided are responsive to customer/client needs.
- Undertake all duties with due regard to the provisions of health and safety regulations and legislation, the Council’s Equality and Diversity and Customer Care policies, and the New Technology agreement.